Five Things to Do in Boothbay Harbor This Summer
Summer on the Maine coast is a quintessential New England experience, one that’s captured imaginations and created Oceanside memories for generations. There are many ways to enjoy a little respite along these granite shores, but here are a few of our favorite ways to enjoy it:
- Picnic on an Island: Spruce Point Inn enjoys special access to Burnt Island, the site of one of Maine’s oldest lighthouse. Let us pack you a gourmet picnic and ride you across the harbor on the resort’s motor launch, Bright Line, to an afternoon of exploration, stunning 360 ocean views, and an old fashioned picnic by the sea.
- Tour an Oyster Farm: Nothing gets quite as fresh as eating an oyster plucked from the sea right before your eyes. Our friends at Damariscotta Oysters Farm grow their succulent bi-valves in the crisp water of the Damariscotta River, right around the corner from Spruce Point Inn. Sit back and relax on a happy hour cruise or learn from their experts about pairing wine, beer, and sake with their oysters on a Tasting Cruise.
- Hike by the ocean: There’s something particularly refreshing about hiking by the sea. We call it “forest bathing” and to us it’s all about the renewing qualities of time spent in the cooling shadow of the old growth spruce forests that grow right up to the edges of Maine’s coastline. Enjoy access to miles of hiking trails through Spruce Point’s own forest, and enjoy the sea breeze winding through rustling pines and imposing spruces while catching glimpses of the ocean. Refresh and renew here in these magical forests.
- Cruise the Harbor: Boothbay Harbor is alive with activity and beauty in the summer months. Lobster boats and pleasure crafts mingle in the harbor, creating a picturesque scene that’s as timeless as they come up here. Spruce Point Inn’s own motor launch, Bright Line, is one way to get out and explore the harbor. Moored right off our dock, the historic Friendship sloop, Sarah Mead, is another way to get out and experience the pleasure of time on the water.
- Sunset and Seafood: No ingredients go better together quite like seafood and sunsets. Enjoy the final wink of the day’s sunlight and a show of colors across the sky each evening, paired with the flavors and aromas of locally sourced Maine cooking. Whiteclover, Spruce Point Inn’s signature restaurant, is our favorite perch for that perfect sunset dinner.